March 05, 2012

The Bodeguero – the little dog that smiles!



Four sweet faces - four sweet and loving characters


It breaks your heart to see so many Bodegueros and Podencos left behind in the shelters, while so many other dogs are adopted. One of the reasons may be that these breeds are little known – not just in Holland but in the UK, the rest of mainland Europe and indeed throughout most of the world. In this post I’ll concentrate on the Bodegueros and will write about Podencos another time.

Leon-hoping for his golden basket


There may be various reasons for the lack of adopters for Bodegueros. The main ones are almost certainly ignorance of the breed and its characteristics and the confusion with the Jack Russell terrier, which it seems has a bad reputation in Belgium though not I think generally in England. However, the Bodeguero is a completely different and original breed – strong, healthy, sweet, very intelligent and loyal. 

Lore - one of the lucky ones


This sturdy little dog has a nice and compact muscular body, fairly long, elegant legs, and a nice smooth coat. They have beautiful little faces! Real teddy bear faces – and yes, they do smile! The breed is known by various names.  The Rat Nero (rattevanger), the Perillo Ratero (rat dog) and the Bodeguero Andaluz.  They got the name Bodeguero from the wineries and wine cellars (bodegas) where they are used to keep wine barrels free from rats and other vermin.

Mikvel the Clown - look at that smile


The Bodeguero first became known towards the end of the 18th century with the arrival of the English wine merchants in the province of Cadiz, Spain. The British brought with them a breed of particularly smooth-haired fox terriers. These were crossed with the already existing local dogs that were used as rat catchers in the bodegas.

Kwien-just wants to play


These hybrids quickly became popular and made excellent ratters. At that time they were bred to be white in colour, so that they could be seen in the dark vaults of the then unlit wineries. In 1993, the Club Nacional del Perro Andaluz Ratonero Bodeguero, was formed and in 2000 the breed was recognised as a native Spanish breed by the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture. It is not yet recognised internationally by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale.

Zozima - thrown over the gate of the Refugio with her siblings


These dogs adapt well to full-time indoor or apartment living but have lots of energy so they both enjoy and need a great deal of daily exercise. They love to spend time outdoors, playing games such as fetch and tug-of-war, and having plenty of room to roam, run, and play.


Madina-my turn next?

They thrive on strong dependable relationships with humans. This in particular makes them easy dogs to train and make excellent pets being bright, clever, obedient, loyal, loving and affectionate with adults and children alike. Like all shelter dogs they may take a little time to adapt to a new home. But once they have settled in (and being so intelligent and eager to please this may not take too long) you’ll have a delicious, crazy, sweet, funny and loving friend for life.


Figaro - nearly a year and still waiting

I want to acknowledge and thank Ineke for posting the original article by Judith, in Spain on the Dutch Blog on March 3rd and also Karin van den Akker who drew her attention to Judith’s article.  I would also like to acknowledge and thank Judith. I did try to translate her article using Google Translate but in the end it was easier to write my own version, drawing facts from Judith’s article and from various other sources including Wikipedia and All About the Breed

Beloved Bombardonneke


Karin added a postscript saying that she is completely won over by these lovely dogs, as I am.  I have met so many of these darlings at El Refugio, among them our beloved Bombardonneke, Mikvel the clown, and so many others. They are funny, sweet, loving and clever and all deserve golden baskets.  I hope there are many adopters out there who will give these wonderful dogs a chance. They will reward you with fun and laughter, loyalty and love.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have been watching the rescue centres in Spain for when we move there and kept coming across ratero as a breed but could not find out anything online about them. The Spanish to English translation did not do them justice! Now I know more about the breed and would certainly not pass one by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, me too!
    The Jack Russel does have a reputation for being destructive and barking a lot... how does the Bodeguero compare?
    Thanks
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are not barkers and mine is certainly not destructive..ver different from jack russels in that they are not nervous, intense or domineering..the Germans call them 'der sanfte Terrier' - the tender terrier, and so they are..

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a proud owner of a ratero bodeguero andaluz ,Luna,which i adopted in Mallorca 6 years ago ,i can guarantee that these dogs are whatever you make them.They need a strong leader who plays with them a lot,and if trained not to bark without reason ,they stick to it with great concentration.at least the ones i ve met ,were all well behaved,(and i m not talking about any special training,just the kind you do as a pet owner,sit,fetch ,etc.The first 2 years need a bit more commitement by the part of the owner ,as they hate beign alone....well luna did...she never made any problems though ,when left alone at home or at the boat(she was brought up in a boat for the first 2 years ).She would eat everything you give her ,prefferes fish and shrimps from the fishermen at the port.....What else can i say ,if you want more than just a dog ,this is the dogs you should be looking for.Relly nice and easy with people,and really easily accepted by opther dogs (probably because of the medium size ,they pass as younger than what they really are ??:):):))so other dogs rarely see rateros as threats.Also they never become targets ,as they are enough brave to stand their ground ,even when faced with really big dogs.she wouldnt attack ever,but wants to be left alone,wants to meet dogs at her pace.so if they come strngly,happy or not,she d put them back in their place,it is like she s saying ,hey man ,dnt smell my ass yet ,i m not smelling yours.....:)
    Hope people get to experience the feelings i did all these years with my ratera....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maz, bj, Alexandra and Florina - so many apologies. I rarely use the email associated with this blog for A.C.E. and have taken a while to get used to managing the comments so I have only just picked them up. Maz, yours is the oldest and I am sorry for the length of time it's taken to spot it. Thank you all for your wonderful support of the gorgeous, funny and loving bodegueros. There are always so many of them at El Refugio - if only people realised what darlings they are.We had a Jack Russell when I was young and I agree - they are totally different temperaments. I'm very happy to see that you are reading the blog - it's lovely and encouraging to get comments. I will make a point of watching out for them in future.

      Delete
  5. I can add my voice to the choir of people loving this breed. I went to Spanin three years ago to work in a shelter during the summer holidays. I stayed for three weeks and could chose any dog I wanted between the 400 dogs the shelter had. Of all the 400 dogs Jack Sparrow of the Carribean (so named because he is not the most beautiful dog in the world, but he is certainly the most charming one) won my heart!! He is bright, clever, charming, playful, kind to everybody and everything, funny and I could go on and on. He has only one flaw, and that is he always goes hunting when not on the leash, so I need to keep him on a leash most of the time. I can warmly recommend this family-friendly dog to everyone who likes a sporty, intelligent,non-barking, middle sized dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have one from sos spain.SHE WAS CALLED KIA she is adorable and after 6 weeks has settled down and is wonderful and loves playing with our other four dogs especially sasha the lassie dog. We call her ki.ki now. she goes everywhere with us. Her only drawback at the moment is she chews everything so we give her old shoes and toys. she is very loving and affectionate and is helping me get over loosing my snoopy who was everything to me as she is so like him in colour and some of her ways but he was more staffie terrier. I would reccomend this breed totally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We rescued our beloved Flossie via the Jersey based charity The Company of Dogs in 2013. She us such a lockable kind intelligent girl. Very easy to train and extremely clever. Highly recommend this breed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Extremadura Spain and have a rescued Bodeguero. A fun, sweet, intelligent and has such an appealing little face. Skippy has been with us for 10months and gives so much pleasure. She loves playing - fetch is her favourite but has a soft toy which she tosses in the air and shakes like a rat but has not chewed it or anything else. I would definitely get another ratonero.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found my lovely boy "Foster" laying on the road cuddled up to the curb on a roundabout between Algorfa and Almoradi, Spain. He was covered in fleas and ticks but when I stopped the car and called him over he perked up right away and came bounding over. As the Bodeguero's do, they are so sweet and friendly.
    At the time I was the station manager of a group of expat radio stations and I had managed to help the local animal charities rehome a huge number of cats and dogs found, but it seemed no one would take the dog we were Fostering. I did not name him so that I would not get attached as I felt it would be cruel to keep him due to my work hours. Cutting a long story short, we have now relocated to the UK and Foster came with us! He loves it here and has enriched our lives so very much. Everyone he meets falls madly in live with him. He really is very special and I know my life is much better for having him in it. These dogs are perfect in every way, apart from a bit of malting. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello
    Thank you for this great Post !!!! I have a Bodeguero and I absolutely love her !!! I am 24 and had family dogs all my Life but this is my first own dog...and I couldnt of made a better choice! She so loyal ..I can basically have her of the leash all day and one shout and she comes running, she loves her cuddles too and always makes sure me and my partner get the same love from her she is just to cute.
    She loves playing and is an incredible FAST learner, you can see that she wants to learn!
    She is just a PERFECT companion she brightened up my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you tell me if this breed goes down holes? I have kept (and adored) smooth fox terriers in the past but was unable to walk my last, much loved smooth off the lead because there are now so many large badger sets in the fields around our house. Our friends lost their terrier down a badger hole and it was a heartbreaking experience, so I need a dog that isn't interested in digging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, we have had the pleasure of a Bodeguero for the last 6 months and we are all totally in love with her! But, since she came to our house, like the very first day after spending some time abandoned she was and still is obsessed with going under the bed covers, this is a bit like digging instinct.

      Delete
  12. I have recently discovered this amazing little dog. I share to rehome them on fb.but so difficult to get people interested.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have recently discovered this amazing little dog. I share to rehome them on fb.but so difficult to get people interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took on a young bodeguero in January this year after my beloved dog Murphy had to be put to sleep after he became paralysed. They are loving and faithful but need plenty of exercise and mine loves to play with my other dog Maisie, he is non-aggressive but likes to be in charge and demonstrates this by sitting on her. He is good off the lead and always comes back when called. A real smiler too. A great family dog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I rescued a little bodeguero boy from badagoz he was badly treated as a baby and terrified when we first got him here in Scotland - he was so nervous, as I was the one that picked him out the cage in the transport van he instantly looked at me with the saddest eyes but I could tell he trusted me 2 years on and we have the best dog anyone can asked for we also have a Jug (half pug/ jack russell) and she has the jack Russell attitude - we lover them all equally but I can say when anyone passessment the street she doesn't know or comes to the door or sometimes for just no reason shebarks her head off and we have to get the sqooshy gun out! Ricky my body just stares out the window and doesent make a sound, he is incredibly loyal, we live in Scotland and just beside large braes and fields - for first 6months we didn't take him off the lead as we were told their instinct is to hunt and there are badger holes rabbit holes all kinds of animals in the braes - Sometimes he gets a smell but the minute I call his name he listens straight away - when we take him to the beach he loves to chase the seagulls and looks at me very proud as if to say look mummy I told them whoso boss! He loves to play with teddy's his favourite teddy is actually a big badger with a furry tail and he is so gentle with it- unlike the Jug who pulls the stuffing out in 2 mins! she is such a character, I loved the breed so much I started to fundraiser for various charitysizes in Spain helping the shelters - since I founderstand a post of a dog roaming the streets with a leg that we think got caught in a trap - that lucky girl we got straight into foster with help of some wonderful volunteers over there - then we got her leg amputated after few opinions (as she was so used to managing onn3 legs and running g it would have been in way in long term) then got her transported to my aunt who lives between France aunt nd UK - my aunt says when people ask her story tuta she didn't rescue Angel that angel rescued her - and it's true these dogs are the most loYalding companions you could ever meet my mother in law has since adopted a bodeguero we now Hink is crossed with pointer as he is really big - he is the same an absolute dream dog no aggression with other dogs loves to play, and really loves human contact like all bods do!
    My sis in law are dotted are dotted podenco he is so beautiful aredoptednd loving but he is terrified outside and can't interact well with other dogs in street - he is going to intensive training now and he is coming on so well he is a fantastic boy also but he has been a hard journey eye for them all with hisome anxiety issues with anyone outside his comfort zone but hopefully soon he will be coming out with our pack on adventures too :-)

    my email is kirstymclachlan541989@Gmail.com

    if anyone has any questions at all regarding rehoming, travel sheltersystem etc I am happy to help but please if you are thinking about adopting a bodeguero - I promise you it will be the best decision of your life!! My life has changed for the better and I honestly see the world in adventures more beautiful light since adopter my charming best friend x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a boegeuro named Fanta. I cant tell you how she has inhanced my life. She loves me unconditionally as I love her. She loves everyone including children. Loves walking resulting in be losing lot of weight. Fanta is loving, happy and wonderful company, incredibly loyal and intelligent .I have recommended this breed to many people.






    ReplyDelete
  17. I have just adopted a Bodeguero from a rescue centre and it is the best decision I have made. She is very sweet and well behaved and is great with children and my cats. She was brought to the UK by a rescue centre and I am so glad I have adoped her!

    ReplyDelete