December 21, 2014

Manolito's first real Christmas ...


Manolito is ten years old. But this is his first real Christmas. This is his story, from Fabienne's Diary.
This is how he looked when he came to us.




My name became Manolito. I was born somewher in the campo, that's what they call it here. At first I was a sweet, cute, furry ball. But when I grew up everyone made fun of me. My teeth were crooked and my under-bite was more than abnormal. I couldn't eat propertly because my teeth were all wrong. I was laughed at and neglected, kicked and sent away wherever I went. They called me 'ugly'. I learned to make myself small and to hide, to make myself invisible. I stayed in the yard and was happy with all the many puppies who were born there in the campo. They accepted me for what I am. They came and went and I learnt to survive.

People were scary and they made me feel afraid. Then one day I was taken to the killing station. I was scared and knew these would be my last ays. This was how my life would end - in a stinking cage where I would survive for my last ten days. I was put on the death cart, together with the rest of the dogs that were also sentenced to death. All together on our last ride.

A woman came to the cart and looked at me. I tried to hide. What did she want? Tears were rolling down her face; she lifted me into her arms. Never before had I felt a human so close to me. She took me with her, I was saved. I then lived for a while at a rescue centre, where I felt safe hiding under the wheelbarrow. I ate, slept and lived under the dirty wheelbarrow, where life was good because I was safe. No, don't look at me. No, I don't exist. I don't want to be seen. Please let me be.

One day a van arrived and since then my life has changed. I was taken away and washed with soap and shampoo. My dirty long hair that had grown over many years was shaved and my whole body was massaged, admired and loved. They were cuddling me. So funny! I had a basket, but God, what to do with it?! For the first few weeks I slept on the floor, because that's what I'm used to but now, now I sleep, roll and burrow into my pillow and it's wonderful. 

I am so happy. I eat from a bowl and they find me pretty. They think I am funny and I am allowed in their car and they walk with me. They call me Manolito, mi nino, my sweetheart, my cutie. I laugh and I glow. My heart is beating from happiness. They take me for walks and I can run around free as well and run into their arms. Proud, cheerful and happy - that's what I am now. I am hapy to explore everything. Recently my life is different, so completely different.

My Christmas is going to be great.

Yes, my name is Manolito, but you can call me little ball, or sweet little fluffy, that's all fine with me. Merry Christmas from an ordinary stray dog who would never have been noticed if there hadn't been people with a big heart and so I am very grateful to you. To all of you, thank you.

Thank you for my very first Christmas.
Manolito.

Update: On 29th December, Manolito is flying out to live in his forever home with Eugenie. She has written a beautiful letter to him. You can read it on the next post.



At Fabienne's house. All washed and brushed and happpy.



Swapping a cold floor for a warm basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment